Whether you’re a resident of Winchester, visiting on leisure or here out of cultural curiosity, we know our city is laden with secrets and surprises that never fail to intrigue.
From historical events to literature and architecture, there is a magical mystery behind most of what you’ll see while strolling through our wonderful city.
Here are 10 facts you probably didn’t know about Winchester:
1. The first settlers in Winchester arrived here in the Iron Age, over 2000 years ago! Just a small part of the magic that contributes to Winchester’s ambience.
2. Winchester Cathedral is one of the largest cathedrals in Europe, boasting the greatest length of any European Cathedral. The grandeur of the building itself, as well as it’s the enthralling atmosphere, makes it near enough impossible not to stand in complete awe. The Netflix series The Crown spent a day or two filming here!
3. In 1394, our very own Winchester College was founded by William of Wykeham. It proudly has the longest, continuous history of any school in England. Did you know that some of the film Les Miserables was filmed at Winchester College?
4. Winchester's old City Mill is the country’s oldest working watermill, steeped in over a thousand years of history.
5. Winchester was the first capital of England! It remained an extremely important city until the Norman conquest.
6. The Great Hall of Winchester is considered to be one of the finest surviving great halls of the 13th century. Another famous film was made here too, called Wolf Hall.
7. In March 2016, Winchester was named ‘The Best Place to Live’ by Sunday Times. Can you really blame them? Between history, nature and entertainment, we’ve certainly got it all…
8. Jane Austen spent the last few weeks of her life in Winchester and is buried in Winchester Cathedral.
9. Winchester hosts one of the UK’s largest Farmers Markets on the last Sunday of every month, with over 100 different stalls to browse and choose from.
10. In 1850, Winchester became home to the first public library in the UK.
Thanks to our rich culture and history, a whopping 5.6million people visit Winchester, every year.
The wonders of Winchester are endless, as are the possibilities for learning and exploring.
Our property is situated just 3 miles from Winchester city centre, surrounded by Winchesters stunning natural beauty.
Book a stay with us today, and truly experience Winchester’s magic.