Hello Spring, Goodbye frost-bite!
The Beatles said many things, including “Here comes the sun” and right now they just happen to be right! It may not be shining its brightest just yet, (indeed, there may be the odd spattering of snow! We think that just makes everything more pretty) but it’s well on its way and that makes us smile! There is something quite wonderful about the Great British (and at times elusive) Summer!
One thing we do know is that we can soon kiss goodbye to frost bite, to watery eyes and to coats so puffy we feel like a marshmallow and say a warm hello to light (more stylish) jackets, shoes we can point our toes in and more day trips!
The weather can be tricky to predict, so we have put together a little checklist for you which, by experience, we know will fit happily on the boot of your car without the need for roof racks and broken zips.
The essentials – (be prepared for anything!)
- Layer up! Waterproof jackets are a must, showers are quintessentially British and most frequent during the season’s transitional months (we recommend coats that fold into tiny little duffle bags, very easy to take with you). If you can, wear jackets with a hood, umbrellas can be so cumbersome! (These will also keep you warm and dry if the rain turns momentarily to snow!)
- Chunky knits, we are almost in spring but its not that warm yet! Don’t let the bluer skies and gentle wind fool you, it’ll still bite at your cheeks.
- Sun glasses - whether the sun is blinding in its brilliance, or simply blinding you as it shines off freshly filled up rain puddles – either way, sunglasses mean sunshine!
- Wellies – we are hopeful trainers will do the trick but in case you wake up to torrential rain, best to be prepared, nice think long socks and a prerequisite to splash in anything vaguely muddy.
- Jeans – you can dress them up or down, they keep the wind off your legs and you can wear them with a T-shirt (long-sleeved) or 5 different layers (for the girls, we think leggings are the way to go, lots of movement, look great with wellies, trainers and chunky knits)
- Light layers will take up less room than bulky coats, leaving space to pack something just a little bit special for an evening out in Winchester.
Now that you have the essentials where are you going to take them? May we humbly suggest a few bursts of spring colour to inject into your day?
1. Boom & Bloom - 18 Mar 2023 - 17 Apr 2023
Address: Winchester Science Centre Telegraph Way Winchester Hampshire SO21 1HZ
There is always something of interest happening at Winchester’s Science Centre. This March the outside is being brought inside, all things colour are set to bloom and there will be exciting experiments to see and be part of. After your visit be sure to enjoy the outside and see if you can spot any budding crocuses or dancing daffodils.
2. ‘The Elements’ by Luxmuralis - 6 Mar 2023 - 11 Mar 2023
Winchester Cathedral The Close SO23 9LS
This illuminating sound and light show is all about the power of the Earths elements – from volcanos to storms. The Cathedral is the perfect setting for a spectacular and colourful experience, with art projections, light and sound bouncing off the walls and echoing through the halls. Witness the changing of the seasons and the power of our Earth in all its glory.
3. Chawton Village Walk: Mother’s Day Special - 18 Mar 2023
Jane Austen's House Winchester Road Chawton GU34 1SD
When we think of Austen we see long summer dresses, bonnets with escaped tendrils blowing in the spring breeze, garden parties and croquet on the lawn. Walk in Austen’s footsteps in a gentle and guided walk through the villages she once trod, listen to readings as you walk and enjoy the fresh air, the sunshine and the life springing up all around you.
4. Dazzling Daffodils- A Watercolour Workshop - 18 Mar 2023
Address: Chawton House, Chawton, GU34 1SJ
Local artist Julia Morgan shares her beautiful paintings in a watercolour workshop this March! Many a famous painting or poem has been inspired by daffodils at about this time of year with their bright sunny faces. Join in and learn how to capture their beauty and experience new painting techniques!
5. Chocolatier Masterclass With Chocolate Craft - 24 Mar 2023
The Arc, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB
Since Easter is just around the corner, we have chocolate on the brain! Ever made your own chocolates? No? Then here is your chance! Learn how to temper and create a delicious morsel of chocolaty goodness, learn how to pipe the liquid treat and even pick up a few anecdotes about the history of chocolate. Why not take your homemade goodies on a picnic the next day and enjoy the taste as you enjoy some of Winchesters most beautiful spring views in a location of your choosing.
Just a few things to temp you into a mid-week break or long weekend here in Winchester. Our lodges are the perfect setting to see which parts of spring have already sprung! Explore the beautiful woodlands on our doorstep and get back out in to the fresh air without the need for central heating…at least while the sun shines! Then cosy up in your home from home and enjoy a day well spend. Can’t wait to see you!