What does August mean to you? The fact that it was named after the Roman emperor Augustus? Well…yes, but it’s also the most sought after 6 weeks of the year! Whether you have children and can now finally find the time in their busy social calendars to go away for some fun filled family days out, or whether you need to get away from the copious numbers of children who now seem to be omnipresent in your local area! Winchester is THE place to be, and we are going to tell you why!
We are happily situated in the heart of Winchester in close proximity to the best places to eat, drink, play and explore. From family days out to romantic meals for couples and a huge variety of independent boutiques, tours, and nature trails. Since the choice is so endless, we have put together a small list to get you started (in that way that we do).
Planning your holiday with your children:
1. Family Fiesta at Winchester Science Centre – two outdoor spaces will be filled with wonderful things to explore, no ‘indoor voices’ necessary as it will be full of curiosities and loud noises. Capture new memories as you experience live shows in the Planetarium, learn why fireworks go bang and let your creativity run wild in the Music Makers tent.
2. Calling all Ninja Warrior and Fun House fans (depending on your age!) Fort Nelson: Fit for the Fort is holding daily junior assault courses of which Pat Sharp would be proud. This event is held on all weekends throughout the summer holidays, each one embracing a different time period. From military drills, physical fitness tests, survival skills and Morse code, do you have what it takes to be deemed Fit for the Fort?
3. Discovering the Moths of Selborne – it’s easy to spot the Red Admiral’s and Common Blue’s of the butterfly world, but moths are the unsung hero of the season. Help to identify the different species that you see as well as being part of the nocturnal world in the grounds of Gilbert White’s House & Gardens, don’t forget to listen out for owls and bats. What a fun way to stay up late during the holidays! We strongly recommend hot chocolate and marshmallows back at your lodge to round off a lovely evening.
4. Bird of Prey Walk & Breakfast at Chawton House – a delicious breakfast, a gentle walk around the Chawton estate and Harris Hawks flying overhead, cameras at the ready! An exciting way to be out in nature and a chance to experience something different at the start of your day, just a 30min drive from your luxury lodge.
5. No summer holiday would be complete without a trip to Peppa Pig world or Marwell Zoo! From rides to exotic animals, close encounters, and adventure playgrounds, get ready for a fun-filled day which will leave your little ones happily exhausted and ready to snuggle down in the sanctuary of your luxury lodge in, (if we may say so ourselves) one of the most comfortable beds ever!
Free things to do with the kids – because the holidays can be long!
1. The South Downs is a beautiful place to visit, full of chalk hills, meadows and rolling grasslands. It’s the perfect setting to enjoy the summer sun, hair tussled by the coastal breeze and a picturesque landscape to choose a spot to picnic. An adventurous family day out.
2. Winchester is full of museums which are free to visit! They are all within walking distance so you can spend the day enjoying them all! Winchester city museum with artefacts from the Romans, Saxons and Normans and well as Jane Austen. Westgate Museum (a former prison) where kids can dress up and be a knight in shining armour! Plus Winchester's Military Quarter which has 6 museums all withing a few meters of each other! Be part of history and see what you can find!
3. For a relaxing meander visit Winnall Moors nature reserve – explore the woodlands, meadows, rivers and waterfalls and discover the native wildlife. This is ideal for little ones as the terrain is gently undulating and has lots to discover.
4. Fabulous Family Fridays run until 18th August in The Guildhall Courtyard. Be engulfed by live performances, have your faces painted and even learn circus skills! The fun can continue in the lodge when your little ones regale you with all they have learnt!
5. The stunning woodlands right outside our lodges are full of bluebells, ancient trees and trails to navigate. While away the hours before walking the short distance back to your luxury lodge with its full equipped kitchen and flat screen TV. Feet up and kettle on!
Planning your holiday with adults: Where to eat and drink
1. Saturday 19th August, Winchester is hosting the Sausage and Cider Festival! You can sample your way through craft ciders, cocktails and beers all soaked up with various types of sausage! Yes please!
2. Ladies and Gents this is the moment you’ve waited for! Oohhh-woah-woah-o-o! – Oh yes, The Greatest Showman is appearing in an open air cinema on the lawn of Chawton House! Spend the evening relaxing on a picnic blanket and enjoy the show! Signing encouraged!
3. Violino Ristorante Italiano is one of the most romantic places to sup. Homemade pasta at its finest with a huge variety of ingredients indicative to the region. Be sure to book in advanced to enjoy an ambient and delicious dinner for two.
4. Enjoy a wonderful day and evening of grownup fun in your private lodge with the option of a hot tub. With a sumptuous cream team, champaign, beauty treatments and posh picnics delivered to your door so you can eat in your destination of choice – perhaps with a view of the bluebell woods just outside.
5. Did you know that Winchester is full of Michelin stars? You can choose your favourite cuisine from The Black Rat, The Chesil Rectory and The Kyoto Kitchen. We are proud to be home to a huge variety of foods from around the world, some of the cosiest pubs and most happening bars. Bon appetit!
Don’t worry, there is also lots to see and do for the grownups! From retail therapy in our stunning boutiques, music festivals, foodie havens and hidden gems. How about a 220 mile cycling adventure along King Alfred’s Way Cycle Route, or perhaps a riverside walk along the beautiful Georgian town of Alresford, follow the Keats walks and of course be captivated by the wonderful history and things you didn’t know about the Cathedral, the College and the Old Mill.
Whoever you are travelling with, we very much hope South Winchester Lodges are you destination of choice to enjoy unique experiences, make new memories and stay in a luxury home from home.